Emerge of antibiotic resistance timeline
With credits to our friends at the University of Düsseldorf we share with you this very informative overview that shows the discovery of antibiotics and the rise of resistance in bacteria against our antimicrobial therapies. Above the timeline the introduction of new antibiotics are indicated. The emerge of antibiotic resistance timeline is indicated below.
Less antibiotics are being introduced and antibiotic resistance is on the rise. The discovery of antibiotics 80 years ago shifted medical practice from mere diagnosis to a treatment-focused approach that saved lives. Antibiotics increased the average life expectancy by 10 years! But, as can be seen in this antibiotic resistance timeline, bacteria have adapted; resistant bacterial strains are on the rise. How will we assure that future generations still have access to adequate medication?
The World Health Organisation recognized the lack of a tool to quickly find antibiotic bacteria as one of the key factors involved in the rise of antibiotic resistance in this resistance timeline.
Antimicrobial resistance – World Health Organisation
- Infections caused by resistant micro-organisms often fail to respond to conventional antibiotic treatment, resulting in prolonged sickness, higher risk of death and higher costs.
- A large percentage of hospital-acquired infections are caused by antibiotic resistant bacteria such as MRSA or multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacteria.
- New mechanisms of resistance emerge, making the latest generation of antibiotics virtually ineffective.
Important factors that accelerate the emergence and spread of antimicrobial resistance:
- no or little antimicrobial resistance surveillance and monitoring systems
- inappropriate misuse of antimicrobial medicines.
- insufficient prevention, diagnostic and therapeutic tools.
- lack of a comprehensive and coordinated response
[call_to_action button_text=”Learn more” text=”Antibiotic resistance test can be 80% faster using a new technique. Help us turn the antibiotic resistance timeline around” color=”#278f7e” size=”small” url=”/timelapse-imaging/” target=”_blank” position=”left”]
- Learn more about antibiotic resistance
- Consequences of antibiotic use in food animals
- What is the difference between antibiotic and antimicrobial?
- Bacteria are just trying to survive
- The spread of antimicrobial resistance